A weekend in Reykjavík

Saturday 19 November 2016


Having some of your oldest, and often closest, friends live in a different country than you comes with the downsides of seeing them only around Christmas and maybe summer when it boils down to it. However, the beauty of having loved ones spread out all over Europe is that you get to plan weekend trips (or longer ones if you're lucky) to countries or cities you've never been before. Over the past three years, since I first moved away from home to go to University in the UK, I've been to Berlin, Amsterdam, Zurich and Hamburg - meeting old friends in each city. On top of getting to see dear ones and discovering new places to tick off your travel list, comes the benefit of occasionally being able to stay at said friend's place, making the trips easier on your bank account as well. 
Last Friday, I got on a plane to visit one of my closest friends - and long established travel buddy, in Reykjavík, Iceland. Whereas the two of us had previously visited the cities I just mentioned due to our common friends and living together at University, we no longer live in the same country (for now) but being the travel lovers we are, we're using this as an excuse for weekend trips to see each other. The fact that I was able to visit a country which I otherwise might've not gone to in the near future by visiting one of my closest friends was the cherry on top of the cake.
We spent a long weekend catching up whilst walking through the city of Reykjavík, eating delicious vegan food (Icelandic Vegan Eats edition? I've got you covered), fighting the rainy, grey and at times crazy windy weather, sitting in 40 degree outside hot tubs in chilly 4 degree temperatures and watching movies wrapped up in blankets, eating too many cookies. 
Even though I will get to work on a Vegan Eats post soon, I didn't plan any other specific Reykjavík related posts. I've decided to simply pull together some of my favourite photos that I took during my stay in this adorable city and share them with you.



Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! It really means the world to me and don't forget to leave your link so I can come and say hi! Feel free to comment in English, German, French or Luxembourgish :)