3 Days in Budapest

Thursday 19 November 2015




Budapest was the last city on our Interrail journey and the capital of Hungary actually turned out to be my favourite out of all of the cities we visited! (Would you believe me if I told you that I actually started googling Master courses in Budapest?)
Not only did I love the vibe of the city, buzzing with young people, reminding me a bit of Brighton, which is full of students. Beside the small language barrier we encountered every now and then and the odd amount of Hungarian forint you got for your euros, I thoroughly enjoyed our stay in Budapest. One of my favourite things we got up to in Budapest was hiking up Gellert Hill, which was a bit of a struggle in the hot weather but our efforts got rewarded with the most amazing view of the city and I've never had a sushi picnic with a better view! Already being up there, we then went on to see the Danube embankments and the Buda Castle District, which are both World Heritage sites and for a good reason! The small city is incredibly pitoresque and charmingly romantic but it's a good idea to get food before or after visiting it as the prices up there are very touristy.
We also paid a visit to the peninsula between what used to be divided into Buda and Pest and for the sake of letting out our inner children, we let an electric car to drive around the peninsula for 30 minutes for only a few hundred forints per person (2-3 euros) which was tons of fun. 
To finish off almost three weeks of city trips, I also finally got the opportunity to go to a thermal bath with one of my friends, which was a completely new experience for us but something that we'd been wanting to do from the moment we arrive in Budapest. We went to the Széchenyi Thermal Baths and while the hygiene in the showers and dressing rooms was not the best, the place had many different temperatures baths to offer, both inside and outside and a sauna and hammam. It was definitely a fun and different experience to go from one hot pool to the other, surrounded by other people, both locals and tourists!

2 comments

  1. I went to the Gellert Baths and they were just as great! Wish these things were more a thing in our region as well, such a shame! Although it would probably be a bit more pricy than in Budapest...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yet another beautiful city I haven't been to...
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! It really means the world to me and don't forget to leave your link so I can come and say hi! Feel free to comment in English, German, French or Luxembourgish :)