Easy, healthy and oh-so-tasty: Smoothie Bowls

Monday 22 June 2015


If you're active on any kind of social media - Instagram and Tumblr in particular, you've most likely seen smoothie bowls appearing on all your news feeds and dashboards. I myself didn't get the hype around these bowls at first - I always liked smoothies (who doesn't, anyway?) but I never saw the appeal of... well, spooning a smoothie out of a bowl. Really, smoothie bowls are blended fruit topped with more fruit, it's basically a liquid fruit salad? But oh was I wrong, I didn't know what I was missing out on until I finally made my first smoothie bowl for breakfast one day. What's so lovely about them is that you can make the simplest base (the smoothie itself) and then go cray cray with toppings! Since I've been eating them almost every morning over the last couple of weeks, I thought I'd share my current favourite smoothie bowl with you today.



Ingredients:

Base:
  • 3-4 bananas (keep about half a banana to use as topping)
  • handful of strawberries (fresh or frozen)
  • handful of ice cubes (optional but I like to add a few to cool it down a little bit)
  • a splash of plantbased milk - I particularly like oat milk or coconut mill
Toppings:
  • half a banana
  • handful of strawberries
  • half a passion fruit
  • coconut chips
  • (raspberries - I conveniently had these in the fridge today)
Directions:
  1. Blend the ingredients for the base until you have a thick, smooth consistency (add liquid if you'd like it to be less thick) and pour it into a big bowl.
  2. Spread the toppings on top of the bowl either artistically (for an Instagram worthy picture) or just throw them all on top (if you're simply too hungry and impatient) and enjoy!
Other toppings I use or often see others putting on top of their smoothies are nuts (cashews, walnuts, almonds), flaxseed, chia seeds, grapes and any other fruit you fancy, really!

6 comments

  1. I also do many smoothies and that kind ou breakfasts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gesäit gudd aus! Mir geet et genausou. Se begéinen mer emmer rem op Instagram, mee éigendswéi fannen ech se iwwerbewäert. Ee vun de Virdeeler vum Smoothie ass dach, dass een se schnell a bequem kann drénken. Vläicht muss ech mer awer endlech mol eng smoothie bowl maan. :D
    LG Dani

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your recipe posts and all posts related to the vegan diet and health :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey girl! Just stumbled across your blog and boy am I glad I did, I am in love! Your whole theme and layout is lovely, and I can already tell Undersized Closet is going to become a firm favourite of mine. I have to admit up until now I have always kinda viewed smoothie bowls as a bit of a waste of time- as you so aptly said in your post, what's so good about a smoothie spooned out of a bowl? But after reading your post I'm definitely going to try it out, it's true they looks SO delicious and your recipe looks both simple and super tasty.

    Also as I was writing this I noticed your message saying feel free to comment in english, german, french or luxembourgish (seriously impressive that you know so many languages!) I've been struggling away at my français for 7 years now and am doing it as part of my degree, and am always on the lookout for internet friends to parle avec! ;) If you're ever looking for someone to practise or write french too, feel free to chuck me an email or comment!

    Sorry for the super long comment haha, just so happy I found your blog! I would love if you could check out my blog, it would be super cool to make another blogging friend!

    have a lovely day,
    Zoë x
    http://brambleandlace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks sooo good! I need to try asap :p

    -Vivian
    www.viviannkle.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! It really means the world to me and don't forget to leave your link so I can come and say hi! Feel free to comment in English, German, French or Luxembourgish :)