Quick & Easy: Vegan Burrito Bowl

Monday 27 July 2015


Ever since I had my first burrito a few years ago, it's been one of those foods that I loved but only ever ate when I encountered a restaurant or food chain where I could get them. However, especially since going vegan, my love for beans - black beans in particular - has been growing. While I'm still on the lookout for those perfect, thin tortilla wraps (the ones I find are always too thick to roll a proper burrito with that won't open after 0.3 seconds?!) I've worked on my burrito bowls, which can be just as delicious and even simpler to make. The recipe for this burrito bowl is very basic and can be changed according to your tastebuds, I sometimes add nutritional yeast for a bit of a cheesy flavour or sprinkle fresh coriander over my bowl, but you can even go ahead and add some corn or grilled tofu! But first of all, let's go back to the basics...


Ingredients:
  • 80g of brown rice (dry weight)
  • 1 can of black beans, drained
  • 2 tomatoes
  • one fourth to half an avocado (I unfortunately only had a little bit of avocado left in the fridge)
  • lemon juice
  • salt, pepper
Instructions:
  1. Cook the brown rice following the instructions given on the package.
  2. Heat the drained black beans over a low flame.
  3. While everything is cooking/heating up, chop up your tomatoes, make sure you keep all the juices from the tomato and transfer to a bowl. Add lots of lemon juice, salt and pepper, mix well and let everything soak for a little bit.
  4. Cut up your avocado into small chunks (or even make guacamole out of it if you have enough avocado!)
  5. Once the rice is done and the beans are hot, throw everything into a bowl and add extra salt or pepper if you wish.
  6. For some more spiciness, you can add Tabasco sauce, sriracha or chili flakes. Enjoy!

1 comment

  1. Love burrito! I would love to find a restaurant in Luxembourg where you can have delicious as at home (without having to wash dishes afterwards :P ) but I haven't find it yet. LOL

    Corie
    www.barefootinluxembourg.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! It really means the world to me and don't forget to leave your link so I can come and say hi! Feel free to comment in English, German, French or Luxembourgish :)